Are you a victim of dry skin and searching for good, health best foods for dry skin? you are at the right place for all of your problems.
Eating a well-balanced diet is generally important for our general body’s health. With this in mind, we know that eating unhealthy diet can be detrimental to the metabolism cause issues with weight and even harm internal organs such as the heart and liver as well as the external like the skin.
Which foods are good for dry skin?
Fruits and vegetables are great for dry skin because they contain vitamins, minerals, and other compounds that will perk up the skin.
Recommended Vitamin Products
|Biotin by Nature's Bounty, Vitamin Supplement, Supports Metabolism for Energy and Healthy Hair, Skin, and Nails, 10000 mcg, 120 Rapid Release Softgels||View On Amazon|
|SmartyPants Kids Formula Daily Gummy Multivitamin: Vitamin C, D3, and Zinc for Immunity, Gluten Free, Omega 3 Fish Oil (DHA/EPA), , Vitamin B6, Methyl B12, 120 Count (30 Day Supply)||View On Amazon|
|Natrol Melatonin Advanced Sleep Tablets with Vitamin B6, Helps You Fall Asleep Faster, Stay Asleep Longer, 2-Layer Controlled Release, 100% Drug-free, Maximum Strength, 10mg, 100 Count||View On Amazon|
|Amazing Formulas - Quercetin 500 Mg, 120 VCaps(Vegetarian Capsules) (Non-GMO,Gluten Free, Vegan) * Supports Cardiovascular Health, Helps Improve Anti-Inflammatory & Immune Response,||View On Amazon|
|Jarrow Formulas Methylcobalamin (Methyl B12), Supports Brain Cells, 5000 mcg, 60 Lozenges||View On Amazon|
|Myo-Inositol & D-Chiro Inositol Blend | 30-Day Supply | Most Beneficial 40:1 Ratio | Hormonal Balance & Healthy Ovarian Function Support for Women | Vitamin B8 | Made in USA (120 Capsules)||View On Amazon|
|Suntheanine® L-Theanine 200mg (Double-Strength) in Cold-Pressed Organic Coconut Oil; Non-GMO & Gluten Free - 60 Liquid Softgels||View On Amazon|
This article looks at best foods for dry skin. meanwhile that cause dry skin and foods that moisturize the skin. In simple terms, it is intended to enlighten people on the common ailments experienced especially with skincare and how one can remedy the same from the comforts of home.
What is the best foods for dry skin that can keep you healthy?
The foods we eat have a great impact on our skin as well as health, therefore it is important to ensure that our foods contain essential nutrients that protect the skin. Below is a list of foods that moisturize the skin to help such as keeping the skin attractive, strong and healthy.
Fish is an excellent food for dry skin and equally important for hair since they contain rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 is important for the body for they have several health benefits such as helps to keep the skin thick and well moisturized. They help in reducing inflammation which is the main cause for acne and redness as well as autoimmune conditions that affect the skin. These fatty acids also help in making the skin less sensitive to UV rays from the sun
Another important element in seafood that is the best foods for your dry skin such as herring and salmon is they contain a good source of vitamin E which acts as an antioxidant for the skin thus protecting the skin from inflammation and free radicals damage.
They also contain proteins that are required for maintaining the integrity and strength of the skin. Lastly, seafood provides a mineral vital for inflammation regulation called zinc. Zinc helps in the production of new skin cells and general health.
Eating avocado regularly is good for your health and best foods for dry skin, Avocado contains compounds that are good for the overall skin health which protect the skin from aging and wrinkles caused by sun damage. Being a good source of vitamin E and vitamin C finally the skin gets protection from oxidative damage.
A 100 gram serving of an avocados provides 14% of the daily value for vitamins E and C, which is important for healthy skin.
This is a good source for essential fatty acids that the body cannot make for itself. Walnuts are packed with a lot of goodness such as omega-3, omega-6, zinc, vitamin E, vitamin C, selenium and some protein. All these compounds help the skin in various ways that help to keep the skin strong, protected and healthy.
Nuts and seeds are a good source for skin nutrients and excellent example being sunflower seeds as they are packed with good amounts of vitamin E, selenium, zinc and lastly some protein.
Known as natural sun blocker, sweet potatoes contain carotenoids like beta-carotene which is moreover important for keeping the skin healthy and protected from the suns damaging effects.
Yellow or Red Bell Peppers
To keep the skin strong and firm one needs to include bell peppers in their diet, Such as sweet potatoes they contain beta-carotene that the body converts to vitamin A. Bell peppers contain sources of vitamin C which are used in the creation of collagen that helps maintain the skin firmness and strength. Vitamin C is essential as foods that moisturize the skin since they reduce the risk of dry and wrinkled skin as we age.
Broccoli is packed with many vitamins and minerals beneficial for skin health including vitamin A, vitamin C, and Zinc. Apart from these, it contains a carotenoid called lutein which protects the skin from being dry and wrinkled due to oxidative damage.
Another special compound found in broccoli is sulforaphane which is a powerful protecting agent against damage caused by the sun. This compound neutralizes harmful free radicals from the sun and in some cases, it is known to have anti-cancer effects.
Tomatoes is one of the best foods for your dry skin , a good source of the major carotenoids in found in tomatoes. Other than the mentioned carotenoids above tomatoes which are good food for dry skin in summer contains the all-important lycopene which is moreover important for protecting the skin from sun damage and wrinkling.
Soy contains compounds known as isoflavones which act as a mimic or blocker for estrogen in the body. Isoflavones help to reduce wrinkles and improve skin elasticity. It has been found that it increases collagen in your body which helps by keeping the skin strong and smooth.
Avoiding Food for Dry Skin
- Dairy Products: Maybe good for health but bad for skin health. Dairy contains hormones in high content which cause clogging of skin pores.
- Salty foods: Overload of salt causes dehydration to the body and on your skin due to the water loss.
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol makes the skin dry and dehydrated.
- Sugary foods: Sugary foods cause inflammation in the body that harms your skin.
What vitamins will help with dry skin?
Several vitamins are essential for keeping dry skin hydrated. Below is a list of some to consider trying.
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Omega-3 & Omega-6 fatty acids
- Vitamin D
What is good for dry skin?
- Warm water bath – Contrary to the belief that hot water helps in many things it is not advisable for dry skin since it strips the body of the natural barrier of oil which traps moisture on the skin.
- Gentle cleansing – avoid vigorous scrubbing and products made with alcohol since they leave the skin oil-less thus becoming dry.
- Smart shaving – Shaving irritates dry skin, therefore, it is advisable to be careful while shaving especially if you have dry skin. Ensure to shave after your shower as the hair is softer and most pliable which makes shaving easy. Also, make sure to use a sharp razor with shaving gel or cream to shave along the grain of hair grown to avoid irritation.
- Protection – Use sunscreen for the skin and lip balm for chaffed lips. Cover up with a brimmed hat to cover the neck, ears, and eyes from sun damage.
- Moisturizing – Look for rich moisturizers and heavy creams that are best for dry skin. They offer better protection to dry skin problems.
What deficiency causes dry skin?
Deficiency in vitamin B is known to cause dermatitis, itchy and dry skin in people. One should ensure to be getting enough Vitamin B12, Vitamin B3 and Vitamin B6.
Another crucial one is vitamin C which is important for collagen production which maintains slow aging and dry skin. Lack of vitamin A can as well cause skin dryness.
Deficiency in vitamin E is also wanting since in vitamin E we find oil-soluble oxidants that are beneficial for the body and skin at large. Vitamin E can be accessed through the foods we eat or as topical products to use on the skin.
Lack of vitamin D is detrimental to the skin since one cannot protect against free radicals and ultraviolet radiation from the sun causing the skin to dry out and suffer other skin conditions. Vitamin D helps in maintaining the natural skin barrier and acts as an immune system.
How do you treat dry skin?
There are many ways of treating dry skin conditions ranging from product use, homemade remedies to lifestyle changes. All these are easily accessible and at very considerable rates such that anyone can access. If you have been asking how do you treat dry skin conditions? Then below-highlighted points are just but a few of ways to healthy skin.
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Moisturize – Provision of a protective seal over your skin ensures that water does not escape thus the skin remains moisturized, smooth and healthy.
- Using warm water and limiting bath time ensures that dry skin does not lose essential oil as compared to using hot water, warm water helps the skin pores to clear helping the body produce sebum easily to keep the skin moisturized.
- Instead of rubbing with a towel dub softly with a soft towel to dry off to ensure not to aggravate the skin causing it to crack due to dryness.
- Using soaps that are not chemically harsh and abrasive, while choosing soaps to avoid those with fragrance as well as they tend to clean out the oils on the skin thus making it dry.
- Application of moisturizers after bathing or cleansing, people with dry skin should consider using moisturizers that are rich and heavy creams meant for the condition as they help to keep the skin hydrated.
- Using a humidifier during winter to keep your environment humidified to avoid dryness. Heating the house in winter keeps us warm but removes moisture from the air which in turn makes the skin parched and dry.
- Select fabrics kind to the skin, these fabrics should allow for the skin to breathe easily regardless of the weather being experienced.
- According to a study published in the journal Nutrition, participants who included cocoa powder in their diet for 12 weeks had skin that was thicker, more hydrated, and less rough and scaly than those who did not.
The best foods for dry skin are those that contain plenty of natural oils such as nuts, seeds, and avocados. Other types of foods that will help to moisturize your skin are yogurts, vegetables, legumes and other plant-based proteins such as quinoa.