Are you searching for How to remove oily skin naturally? Then, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, I’ve discussed how to remove oily skin naturally and permanently.
Oily skin is caused by overly active sebaceous glands that secrete an oily or waxy substance known as sebum. While sebum is essential for healthy, well hydrated and protected skin, too much of it can lead to clogged pores and thereafter oily skin.
Oily skinned people usually face challenges with melting foundation for those who use makeup and recurring breakouts of acne. Learning how to remove oily skin naturally helps to keep a balance and maintain less oily skin. To tackle this issue we look into causes of oily skin and some natural ways to remove oily skin.
What causes oily face?
Oily skin is caused by several factors or even a combination of issues. To better understand how to remedy the situation naturally we look at some common Oily skin causes.
- Age – Most young adults and adolescents are known to have oily skin compared to older people. This does not mean that as people age the skin becomes completely oil-free but rather less oily. Of importance to note is that oily skin helps to slow down skin aging since skin remains moisturized compared to someone with dry skin.
- Genetics – Oily skin just like other hereditary issues usually run in the family. If anyone has had a history of oily skin in the family chances are likely your skin is also oily.
- Not using a moisturizer – This may result in the skin becoming dry or oily faster. While choosing a moisturizer for oily skin one should go for a light-weight water-based product.
- Usage of wrong products for skincare – if someone mistakes and uses products meant for dry skins which are made of heavy creams they tend to make the skin retain more oil. This possibly leads to skin pores clogging and breakouts. Oily skin has specific care products available in the market thus one should choose wisely.
- Climate – If you live in a place where the climate is hot and humid then your skin is likely to produce more oil. This is noted especially during summer season compared to winter.
- Large skin pores – Weight fluctuations, acne breakouts, and aging can cause the skin pores to enlarge which in turn results to production of more oil from the skin.
Oily face treatment
There are a number of ways that can help one reduce symptoms of oily skin or how to get rid of oily skin forever. Below we highlight six best methods.
Washing the face regularly
Regular washing is one recommended way for oily face treatment. It is advisable to wash using a soft washcloth, warm water, and gentle soap, without fragrance, harsh chemicals or added moisturizers. Rough wash clothes cause added friction which stimulates the skin to make more oil while the soaps and chemicals may irritate or dry out the skin which in turn responds by creating more sebum.
There are several natural astringents with skin-soothing properties that one can use compared to those that contain alcohol which tends to dry out the skin. Natural astringent toner like witch hazel contains high tannin content and is anti-inflammatory.
Toners maintain the skin by making enlarged pores seem smaller and help remove bits of makeup or other facial products that clog the pores. It is advisable that before settling on a particular toner one should look out to reactions to using astringent toners to avoid irritation which may lead to the secretion of more sebum.
Patting the face dry
Once through with washing and using toner one should pat the skin dry with a soft towel, usage of rough washcloths and wiping the skin with force is discouraged as it stimulates the creation of more sebum.
Use of blotting papers and medicated pads
Apart from washing the face carrying blotting papers and medicated pads helps to blot out extra oil from areas of the face which are problematic. This helps to maintain your makeup for those who use makeup.
This helps to stimulate the human dermal fibroblasts causing the production of more collagen and firming up the skin. Facial masks may be the best methods of how to remove oil from face permanently naturally.
Some facial masks may be beneficial for treating oily skin as they may contain ingredients such as:
Clay – It absorbs oils and reduces skin shine and sebum levels without skin irritation. Products containing minerals such as bentonite or smectite should be used occasionally so as to prevent skin drying out. Apply a gentle moisturizer after use.
Natural raw honey contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties, use of honey as a facial mask may reduce oily skin and acne issues while keeping your skin soft.
Oatmeal masks help to cleanse the skin, oats contain compounds that act as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory thus they help soothe irritated skin and at the same time a gentle cleaner.
While most people steer clear of moisturizers for fear that the skin looks greasier, there are moisturizers that can be of benefit for oily skin. Settling for an oil-free moisturizer helps keep your skin moistened and protected without being greasy.
How to stop oily face during the day
Stopping oily face during the day works best with a combination of treatment options.
- wash your face as recommended,
- Use appropriate toners
- use of appropriate oil-free moisturizer and sunscreen
- Carry blotting papers to blot out excess oil during the day
- If you use cosmetic products try to minimize and ensure to go for cosmetics recommended for people with oily skin.
- Keep your hair tied back to prevent the transfer of oil and dirt to the face.
What hormone causes oily skin?
Androgens are the hormones responsible for the production of oil. Androgens at times do fluctuate which in turn stimulates an increase in sebum production.
This fluctuation takes place during puberty, before menses, during pregnancy, and menopause. Medication, stress, and illness also do prompt more hormones to be released and with that more oil comes along.
Does apple cider vinegar help with oily skin?
Apple Cider Vinegar helps with oily skin by balancing the natural pH of the skin and exfoliation which keeps skin pores open. It helps with oily skin as it freshens and removes excess oils and makeup left behind.
Being a by-product of apple fermentation it contains fortified beneficial acids and enzymes which are healthy for the skin. Using Apple Cider Vinegar not only caters for oily skin but being an antiseptic and antibacterial it deals with skin infections and conditions.
Like most products, it is always advisable to carry out a patch test on your skin. This is to determine levels of sensitivity while using ACV so as to balance out the mixture to your comfort levels then put to use. Apple Cider Vinegar contains alpha hydroxyl which moisturizes and tones the skin while reducing oiliness.
How to get rid of oily skin on face – easy remedy
Oily skin can be managed using the below methods which help to keep a balance to ensure the skin is healthy and well hydrated without being oily.
- With a mild cleanser and water wash your face twice daily.
- One should avoid touching the skin frequently especially with unclean hands.
- Ensure to remove all makeup before going to bed.
- Maintain your hair not to touch your face as the dirt and oil from it can make your skin oilier.
- Use a pH-balanced toner daily.
- Find a skincare routine that works for you in controlling oily skin and stick to it.
- Choose water-based cosmetics instead of oil-based.
- Avoid eating greasy foods, processed foods, and foods high in sugar
- Keeping hydrated is important thus ensure to drink lots of water.
Learning how to remove oily skin naturally is a simple process but it requires one to find a regiment of what works best for their skin type. While there are factors that we may have no control over such as genes, hormones, and the environment there are solutions to manage the effect.
For the manageable causes of oily skin like diet, over-washing or scrubbing, and makeup one can workaround to prevent reoccurrence of oily skin.
Some lifestyle changes also can help in the quest to maintain a less oily face. It is advisable to eat a healthy diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. These foods shall improve the texture and appearance of your skin. Ensure to do plenty of physical exercises that gives a range of benefits to your skin.
One should also practice relaxation or meditation techniques to help cope with stress as well as getting a full night rest to renew and revive the skin. Lastly, make sure to drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated. Water maintains healthy skin by ensuring proper water to oil ratio
In case all the remedies given above fail to work for your type of skin it is advisable to visit a dermatologist for further checkup and treatment.