Scalp itch is an uncomfortable feeling that usually occurs after applying oil or lotion to the scalp. It can happen due to dry skin, dandruff, hair products like gels and hairsprays, or even stress. Why does my scalp itch after applying oil? This article will explore why your scalp might be itching after applying oils and offer some relief solutions.
How to stop itchy scalp after applying oil?
There are so many ways to reduce the irritation and itching on your scalp. Some of these options include deep conditioning, shampooing with anti-dandruff shampoo only once a week, keeping hair moisturized, etc. If you need help dealing with why does my scalp itch after applying oil due to stress or psoriasis, we recommend that you go through the article to find more information.
What causes the itch?
These are the main examples of what can cause why your scalp might itch after applying oil. We’ll discuss them later in this article to offer relief options for each condition.
- Dry skin is caused by dry weather conditions, cold temperatures, and even excessive shampooing. When your scalp is dry, it can itch and irritate easily when applying oil or lotion to the skin.
- Dandruff is a widespread condition with over 100 types of fungus on our scalps, causing irritation and itchiness. Seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis are other conditions that cause why your scalp might itch after applying oil.
- Head lice can be another reason for your scalp itch. The best way to deal with lice is by using natural remedies for head lice.
- Many people don’t realize that stress can also be why their scalp itches when they apply oil to dry hair.
- Contact dermatitis is also another reason why your scalp might itch after applying oil. It is an allergic reaction to something you are using on your skin, like the oils or lotion for your hair and scalp.
- Scabies and hives are other good examples of why your scalp might itch after applying oil. You can treat them both with products that you find in your local drugstore. However, if the itchiness is severe, it may need to be seen by a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Scalp psoriasis might also be the reason your scalp itches after applying oil. The most acceptable way to deal with psoriasis is by using natural remedies for hair loss, which can also help ease the itching and irritation on your scalp.
Solutions to scalp itch after applying oil?
- – Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, followed by an anti-dandruff shampoo if needed. You can find many great options at local stores or online for both products. If you are experiencing dry skin on your scalp, use a moisturizer or oil to the skin and hair before applying shampoo.
- – Add deep conditioners into your weekly routine. When you add them in once a week, it will help keep your scalp hydrated. You can also prepare this at home by using natural ingredients like coconut milk, olive oil, honey, etc., which are suitable for dry scalp.
- – Use a natural oil or moisturizer on your hair and scalp after showering to keep the skin hydrated. If you are experiencing why does my scalp itch after applying oil due to stress, try using aromatherapy to ease yourself out of the stressed state before putting anything onto your hair or scalp. Why does my scalp itch afterward, applying oil due to dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, or psoriasis on the scalp? Try using peppermint oil.
- – If hair products such as gels and hairsprays are the reason for the itch, then use a clarifying shampoo to eliminate all of the unwanted build-up left by these products.
- -If lice are the reason for your scalp itch, try using natural remedies for head lice that will help remove the infestation without harsh chemicals.
- – For contact dermatitis, use an antihistamine cream or ointment to help reduce the itching and inflammation.
- – Try using medication for your specific condition or try natural remedies such as apple cider vinegar, coconut milk, tea tree oil, aloe vera, etc., which you can find at local stores or online.
- Scalp psoriasis might also be why your scalp itches after applying oil. The best way to deal with psoriasis is by using natural remedies for hair loss, which can also help ease the itching and irritation on your scalp.
FAQ: Why does my scalp itch after applying oil
What if I’m experiencing scalp itch after applying oil due to dandruff?
Dandruff is a very common condition, which results in flaky white or greyish scales on your scalp. It can also result in itching and irritation of the skin. You should try using an anti-dandruff shampoo to help combat the issue.
You can find dozens of anti-dandruff shampoos at local stores or online for effective and gentle relief from why my scalp itch after applying oil due to dandruff.
What if I’m experiencing scalp itch after applying oil due to seborrheic dermatitis?
Seborrheic dermatitis is a condition of the skin, resulting in dry, irritated, and itchy skin. To help treat the condition, try using natural remedies for seborrheic dermatitis on your scalp.
What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis can be a skin disease in which scaly, red areas of skin appear, and it often gets worse. It occurs when your immune system sends out faulty signals that speed up the body’s growth cycle, causing too much new skin to form. Scales are made from thickened or hardened skin inside that can crack and bleed.
What if I’m experiencing scalp itch after applying oil due to psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory skin condition resulting in thick, red scales on your scalp. To help treat the situation, you should try using natural remedies for psoriasis on the scalp.
What if my itchiness after applying oil is not due to any of these conditions?
If your itchy scalp after applying oil is not due to any of these conditions, then your itchiness might be due to dry skin on the scalp or an allergy. You can try anti-itch treatments for dry skin or antihistamines if you are experiencing an allergic reaction to reduce the itching.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is an acidic liquid, which has many uses for the hair and scalp. The acidic nature of the vinegar also allows your hair to retain its natural pH balance, causing minor irritation or itchiness on your scalp. You can use it as a final rinse after shampooing to help treat dandruff, psoriasis, or seborrheic dermatitis.
What is Coconut Milk?
You can use coconut milk and coconut water to treat psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and dandruff on the scalp with hair oil. It contains essential fatty acids that help soothe dry skin, and the tightness felt after shampooing. Coconut milk is also a natural antiseptic, which helps treat infection and bacteria on the scalp.
What is Sebum?
Sebum is a waxy, oily substance that your body naturally produces to protect and moisturize your hair and skin. So, you can use it if you have a dry or itchy scalp after applying oil.
What is the reason for scalp itching after applying oil?
There are so many reasons why your scalp might be itchy or irritated after applying hair products to your hair and scalp. Some common causes include stress, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis on the scalp, dandruff, etc.
All in all, there are many reasons for an itchy scalp after applying hair oil. You can reduce this by following the steps we just discussed. If you found any of these tips helpful, please share them with your friends and family! I hope this article helps.