Effective skin care for dry sensitive skin is essential for one’s well-being. Many people with sensitive skin experience dry, irritable and sometimes red flaky skin.
Whether it is due to a change in weather, allergies, or a change in beauty products, it is always an undesirable occurrence that leaves one hating their appearance. It becomes worse when the skin condition messes you up on important occasions like dates or meetings.
Basically, sensitive skin is the skin that easily gets blotchy red, burns or stings. Dry skin is associated with sensitive skin as it becomes difficult for the skin to maintain moisture from the inside to keep the skin hydrated.
At times the condition could be caused by certain illnesses or changes in weather, but most of the times, you cause the condition yourself. This is mainly due to the habits of mixing cosmetics in search of the best one for your skin. The purpose of this article is to look at the best and dermatologist-recommended skin care products for sensitive skin.
What helps dry sensitive skin on face?
Since the face is the first thing that people see when we approach them, a nice appearance is essential for a good impression. It is therefore important to know how to take care of your skin and avoid the dry patches and redness commonly associated with sensitive skin.
One point of caution is to be careful while selecting products to use on your face. We always advise our patients to always read the labels and note the ingredients in any chemical they plan to purchase.
Products with a fragrance are a no-go zone as they always contain alcohol which is bad for people with sensitive skin. Always ensure that the product you are using is said to be designed for sensitive skin. Anything else could adversely react with your skin.
Our dermatologists also advise against the constant touching of the face. As you subconsciously touch your face in the course of the day, you introduce thousands of bacteria on your face which could affect your sensitive skin. Mobile phones especially introduce these bacteria and it is good to always wipe your phone before placing it on your ear.
What is the best skin care for Sensitive Skin?
- Moisturizing is the basic skin care for dry skin. It helps improve your skin’s natural barrier which allows it to retain moisture from the inside. The best time to moisturize is at night with heavier moisturizers being preferred. Lighter moisturizers are better for daytime and you can apply those after rinsing your face in the morning.
Most moisturizers will contain hyaluronic acid, ceramides and colloidal. You should note that the simpler the list of ingredients, the better the moisturizer. Many ingredients sometimes included in moisturizers are not suitable for sensitive skin as they cause irritation.
- For the best cleanser for dry sensitive skin, your choice should always be gentle. Our dermatologists advise against scented soaps as they contain alcohols, artificial colors, and plastics which irritate sensitive skin. Also avoid sulfates, parabens, diethanolamine, monoethanolamine, triethanolamine, and petroleum products.
Also, use warm water in baths as hot water tends to strip essential oils from the skin.
- Exfoliating also heals dry sensitive skin. As the skin naturally gets rid of old skin cells for new ones, the old dead cells stick on the face causing dry patches and an uneven skin tone. By exfoliating the skin, the dead cells are removed thus opening the pores and regaining healthy and smooth skin.
What is the best facial moisturizer for dry Sensitive Skin?
Moisturizing is essential for dealing with problems of dry sensitive skin. However, it is even more important to ensure that the moisturizer you are using is for your specific skin type and that it doesn’t work against you.
It is therefore important to check the purpose of a moisturizer before buying one. Ensure that the instructions say that the product is a dry and sensitive skin moisturizer. This is to ensure that you do not introduce harsh chemicals that may irritate your delicate skin.
The best face moisturizer for sensitive skin dermatologist-recommended should contain simple ingredients. The shorter the ingredients list, the safer the moisturizer is for you. In short, the ingredients you should avoid are:
- Artificial colors and fragrances
For day creams, you should also go for the options that contain SPF. This will help if your skin is sensitive to sunscreen. You will get to enjoy the benefits of sun protection as well as keeping your skin hydrated. When it comes to night creams, we recommend a rich thick consistency. This will create a barrier to avoid loss of water through your skin, which naturally happens as you sleep.
What helps dry sensitive skin naturally?
Since the majority of the beauty care products are made from natural products, it is possible to self-medicate using some of the ingredients commonly available in our homes.
The following products contain natural oils that are essential for healthy skin. Any of their combinations will give you the best face wash for sensitive skin, and they are all dermatologist-recommended for your sensitive skin needs.
Olive oil is a natural cleanser and moisturizer. It easily cleans your face without stripping necessary oils from your skin. Just rub the oil and have a warm, moist towel on your face till it cools. You can then wipe off the excess oil from your face.
Avocado is also a natural hydrant that is recommended by many beauty experts. You can prepare an avocado mask at home by mixing half an avocado with a teaspoon of olive oil and tablespoon of honey. After about 15 minutes with the mask on your face you can wash it off and you will begin to notice the effects immediately.
Olive oil and sugar scrub
This natural scrub is perfect for exfoliating your skin. You begin by combining half a cup of sugar with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. You can also choose to add an essential oil like lavender for a nice natural fragrance.
Adding a cup of oatmeal to your bath water is also another natural way to rehydrate your skin.
This natural oil is best for use before bedtime. The oil solidifies at room temperature and this helps create a barrier on your skin thus enabling it to retain moisture from the inside.
The anti-inflammatory properties of milk make it suitable for skin care. It also contains lactic acid which is a mild exfoliator. Milk compresses will also help relieve itchy skin.
This is the most widely known remedy not only for skin conditions but other ailments. The numerous medicinal values of the plant are known by many, reason why you’ll find the plant in many households.
The plant helps alleviate reddening of the skin due to sensitivity and it also decreases signs of aging such as dry skin.
The medicinal values of aloe Vera also make it suitable for the best face wash for dry skin in winter. Just cut its fresh leaves and mix them in your bath water, or apply the juice directly on your face.
Below are a few additional tips that will also help take care of your sensitive skin and avoid the irritation and flare-ups often associated with the condition.
- Avoid overexposure to the sun without sunscreen. This applies to all skin types. Look for those with SPF of at least 15. The higher the better, so you could also opt for SPF-30.
- Also, avoid air-conditioned and heated rooms. These eliminate the moisture in the air and from your skin as well and this could lead to worse problems for your sensitive skin. When in such drink lots of water and if possible add your moisturizing cream.
- Use natural methods to exfoliate your skin. The use of chemicals and beauty products for this may aggravate the condition.
- For make-up, our dermatologists recommend the use of mineral-based cosmetics. These are not likely to clog your pores and they are generally gentle on your sensitive skin.
- Remember to also avoid frequent touching of your face. It has been proven that the transfer of fungus and bacteria from hands to the face contributes to irritation and flare-ups on the face in people with sensitive skin.
Smooth and healthy skin is everyone’s desire. However, conditions such as allergies, diseases, cold weather, and some salon products may hinder us from achieving that radiant skin.
People with sensitive skin are the worst affected due to the delicate nature of their skin. But this is not to mean that they will never get to have healthy skin. By following the tips we have offered in this article, you will be sure to not ever have to worry about reactions on your sensitive skin.
The remedies we have offered are certified by our dermatologists and if you include them in your daily routine you can be sure of developing that perfect skin that will leave you feeling pretty and confident.
However, if you find the recommended solutions not solving your dry skin condition you can always check in with your dermatologist for a medical check-up. Sometimes a dry and sensitive skin could be a symptom of an underlying medical condition. Apart from that, our suggestions for skin care for dry sensitive skin should work perfectly with you.